LAST NIGHT I HAD A DREAM, THOUGHTS WAS RACING THROUGH MY HEAD..
FELT SO REAL TO ME, THIS IS WHAT IT SAID..

Friday, June 26, 2009

Art vs. Artist



At just about mid afternoon nearly every major news, blog and social networking website experienced a slow down, and some even came to a complete halt. CNN seemed to slow along with BBC, while Twitter completely stopped working completely for me, and Reuters gave out even before Twitter. TMZ's single article skyrocketed to the front page on Digg.com receiving over five thousand digg's in under 40 minutes, with almost two thousand of those coming within the first ten minutes, at one point averaging at over 150 Digg's every thirty seconds. All social networking status updates turned to one topic, and nearly every radio station across the nation all began playing music by the same artist. This is definitely the biggest artist/celebrity/famous person to pass in a long time. From what I can remember anyways.

Even though I didn't follow his music too closely, I still liked and enjoyed everything I heard from him and definitely respected his work and his huge legacy and influence on music and art as a whole.

I've seen a lot of people talking trash immediately following his passing because of his obscure lifestyle, and I think Questlove said it best: "I think its time we let him rest in peace and learn to separate the ART and the ARTIST. --that is the MJ i will forever remember." It's interesting how the media and news companies can spend so much time prying into a man's life and tearing it down for the last decade, and then in an instant do a complete 180 and praise his legendary status.

I hate some really good quote to end this post...but I can't find it now :[

No comments: