LAST NIGHT I HAD A DREAM, THOUGHTS WAS RACING THROUGH MY HEAD..
FELT SO REAL TO ME, THIS IS WHAT IT SAID..

Friday, July 24, 2009

Homie Tell Me What's Good

The heavy hitters in the rap game are all coming out of hiding and announcing their return to the game for this fall. In the word's of Diddy, LET'S GO PEOPLE!


First up, formally known as Def Jam's allstar lineup, Jay-Z featuring Kanye West & Rihanna on Jay's second official single, Run This Town, from The Blueprint 3. On paper, I expected this to be an aggressive track, hard hitting beat, fairly uptempo, much like a Def Jam version of Swagger Like Us. Instead I was surprised with a slower, somber, marching beat. I can't deny that I don't like this song, but I feel like it definitely could've been better. Something on the execution of this track seems to be not quite right. It might be the tempo, it might be me not being too impressed with Jay's verses, it may be the beat itself, I'm not sure yet. Jay talks about making money as usual and being on top. His second verse comes in better than his first. Rihanna sings the hook, with Kanye closing out the song with the third verse. I think I like Kanye's verse more than Jay's. :/ I see this as an attempt at Hip-Hop's 2009 version of Queen's We Are The Champions with a twist. I expect this to get big partially just because of the lineup. I expect a good album from Jay, and this definitely isn't a bad track, but it hasn't sold me on BP3 being a classic album, or Jay's next album even holding the title Blueprint 3. To Jay's credit, I've had less than 12 hours to warm up to this track, so I might edit this and completely change my mind in a day or two. We'll see.



The Roots are back! Despite their almost daily commitment to Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, Rock The Bells, Melanie Fiona, OkayPlayer, and Twitter, they've managed to put together a new album. And with their first single, How I Got Over, it sounds like they haven't missed a step. Not only have they not missed a step, but Black Thought stepped up to the mic---to sing. He doesn't sound bad at all, and there is NO auto-tune involved, which makes it even better. They tackle raw real topics as usual. I may be semi-biased because I feel that not only have The Roots managed to outlast countless other hiphop artists, while do something no other group has done before, but they've continued to progress and get better and better with every album. After Game Theory I wasn't sure if they could put out something better than that, but they proved me wrong with Rising Down. Anyways, back on topic.. This song is a nice upbeat track, tackling the topic of the chorus 'Out on the streets, where I grew up. First thing they teach us, not to give a F***. That type of thinking can't get you no where, someone has to care.' It's 3:36 long, but for some reason it seems short to me, which isn't a bad thing. I've left the table with my stomach full of good, quality food, but wanting even more, unlike Jay's track, where I was only half-full of decent food.

This is going to be a great 2nd half of hte year for hip hop...Lupe Fiasco, The Roots, Reflection Eternal, Jay-Z, crossing my fingers for Eminem and Kanye, even 50 Cent will be coming out the same day as Jay-Z. (I'm really hoping 50 can come with another classic like his first album...but thats another topic completely)

Last but not least..


You thought I was down..You thought I was gone..that I went around..thought I left you alone....But look up in the sky, just look up in the sky..see that I'm everywhere, shining down-on you...

Well well, is it our little author, coming back humming his hymns a little altered Lupe announces his return to the rap game with his first single, Shining Down, off of his upcoming album, Lasers (We Are Lasers? L.A.S.E.R.S? This album title has changed so many times I don't know what it is now..) This is the Lasers version of Superstar. Lupe uses auto-tune, then raps, "Now if we autotune that shit we can hear the songs from that opera grown fat b*tch," talking about how its the death of the game, (It's not over til the fat lady sings). I could write out this whole song and break it down and talk about the lines I like and dislike, but I'll just leave it at this: This track tackles relevant topics like he usually does, with a clever flow and good rock and electronica influenced beat, backed by Matthew Santos on the beat. It's not quite as good as Superstar, but I expect nothing but a third classic album from Lupe this fall, and I see this as just a short preview of whats to come.

No comments: